I start planning a story but then find planning a bit boring and want to start writing. But I think my writing won’t be very good if I don’t plan. Do you have any quick and easy ways to plan a story and do character profiles and things like that, so I can start writing my story quicker? Thank you :)
Ok, good question (made rebloggable for you fine folks).
There are two main methods of writing:
- Discovery Writing (often called ‘pantsing’, but we’ll stick with discovery writing for reasons I’ll not go into right now!)
Neither of these ways are wrong. Neither is better or worse than the other. There are huge, famous, best-selling authors who do not plot their novels before writing them. But some people find this method scary - it’s like setting out on a journey without a map. Other writers (like me) find this exciting.
The plotters range from writers who plan out every single chapter; planning where each chapter will begin, end, and what happens in the middle before even writing a single word of the story. Then, at the other end of the scale, are the plotters who write a rough outline, maybe just half a page of scribbles, and that’s all they need.
Again, wherever writers are on this scale; none of these ways are wrong. None is better or worse than the other.
Finding the right answer for you is just a matter of trial and error. No one can tell you how you will write best. Only you can find that out.
This is my advice though: if you want to plot, but plot quickly, I would get yourself a set of index cards. Write down all the things you want to happen in your story, one on each card, and lay them out in the order you want them to happen.
As you write, the story may well change direction. Don’t be scared of this, this is discovery writing and it can be very exciting. If you find this happening you can move the index cards around, you can discard some and add others.
Stick to one index card per character. You can flesh them out through your writing, adding notes to their card as you go along.
The only ‘right’ way to write is the way that’s right for you.
Best of luck!
114 Notes/ Hide
- dominiqueweldon reblogged this from writingbox
- apphorium reblogged this from fixyourwritinghabits
- anarista reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- imurderedthemystery reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- confessions-of-a-redhead likes this
- wakeandshake likes this
- tyrantrummed reblogged this from talesofthestarshipregeneration
- peaceloveandafropuffs reblogged this from talesofthestarshipregeneration
- gwest650 reblogged this from talesofthestarshipregeneration
- gwest650 likes this
- fennekinthosedrawers reblogged this from talesofthestarshipregeneration
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from writingbox
- thenotebookofwriting reblogged this from fixyourwritinghabits
- hotguysandhistory likes this
- purpleapple317 reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- bazookaladopadoo likes this
- serephia likes this
- baltazarcorwin likes this
- riseoftherenegades likes this
- sincerelythemonster reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- wondersmithofastronautalis likes this
- yae666 likes this
- mydailyfetish likes this
- hallofgoats likes this
- iamakidult likes this
- mickeymichaelmiguel likes this
- eleven-pm likes this
- thekiwipenguin likes this
- werewolfoverlord12 likes this
- almosthappiness likes this
- writinglovey likes this
- catherineearnshaws likes this
- silversoulartist likes this
- serenity-seeker likes this
- queenofeurasia likes this
- magnoliaarch likes this
- paxdecheval likes this
- finnthehumanfleshpillow reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- placeforallmylove likes this
- glitchphobia likes this
- gothamcityballet likes this
- page10writing likes this
- -themadhatter- likes this
- tesstessmytessa reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- handsomebenders likes this
- lontaliuss likes this
- dreamsandaspirations reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- dreamsandaspirations likes this
- apollojasstice reblogged this from thewritershelpers